With summer right around the corner, people everywhere are beginning to act more health conscious hoping to get that summer “beach bod.” We are all guilty of trying out some outrageous diet, workout routine, or other ridiculous methods of getting rid of the enemy… fat.
However, fat really isn’t as bad as infomercials and fitness models make it out to be. Here are a couple facts that most people don’t know about fat:
- 60% of your brain tissue is made up of fat.
- Vitamins A, D, E, and K, are fat-soluble vitamins. Without fat you are unable to retain these essential vitamins.
- Fat is also the secret service for our organs. Fat supports and cushions organs within the body.
- Fat insulates the body.
- Fat is used in conduction of our nerves, as well as in production of hormones.
- Fat is also necessary for proper function of our immune systems.
When you take a look at these facts, you see that fat really isn’t the enemy. A healthy body is very dependent on fat. It’s on your body for a reason. Don’t be so hard on yourself.
So the next time you’re thumbing through the latest Dudes Health or Fashion Fab magazine checking out these “perfect bodies,” you should really feel sorry for them.
Source: Understanding Your Health, 8th Ed., Payne, Hahn & Mauer.