When you first get to college you check in and drop all your stuff off at some naked, plain, lifeless room, otherwise known as a dorm. Your room will resemble somewhat of the picture provided. It may feel like you are being dropped off at boot camp or prison.
Whether you know your roommate or not, the next few hours are critical in setting the tone for at least the first month of your college career. You need to make your dorm room unbelievably awesome. You want a setup that you’re comfortable with; something you’re going to look forward to coming back to after a long day of classes. But most of all, you want to make sure that your dorm is way better than every other dorm room on your hall.
Here are a few quick and easy ways to get started:
- Replace the standard desk chair with something a little more comfortable. Plan on getting a cheap chair with wheels on the bottom.
- Pickup some leg risers for your bedposts. This will open up more space beneath your bed for storage, and will also keep your sheets and blanket from being on the floor all the time.
- Make sure you get curtains. Curtains will give you a more at home feeling, and will keep the sun at bay on mornings where you may be a little more sensitive to light than others.
- If possible, put a bean bag, chair, or couch (if you have room), for friends to sit when they come over.
- Get a big rug to put down first. I haven’t been in one carpeted dorm room, and that floor is going to be freezing cold come winter when you have to get up for a morning class.
These are just simple easy tips to get started on your dorm room. The more detailed and unique designs are up to you to come up with. Put up pictures and posters, get some colorful bed pillows, bring your stereo… it’s all up to you. Going off to college is an exciting moment for all, so make sure you have a place that helps you remember the great times soon to come.
Picture Courtesy of: Iggycleo