In the winter months, it is easy to get off track with your diet and exercise plan. Colder, shorter days and holiday foods can take a toll on anyone’s body and wellness. Luckily, there are foods that can be added into recipes or eaten alone that can increase metabolism.
- Oatmeal: Try to make oatmeal from the rolled oats container, not instant packages. This is the most effective way to get the most fiber and nutrients out of the oatmeal. Fiber keeps you full and helps maintain a regular digestive system. Try it with cinnamon for an extra flavor boost.
- Green Tea: Along with water, green tea is the king of all beverages. Hot or iced, green tea is packed with antioxidants, and when drank is shown to raise metabolism. Try it with honey for a natural sweeter taste.
- Red Pepper: This hot food boosts metabolism and warms the body. You can use dry red pepper on top of a variety of foods, or work chopped red pepper into taco and casserole recipes for an extra kick. Ground black pepper is also thought to boost metabolism.
- Celery: As some of you may have heard before, this food takes more calories to digest than it contains. Eat it plain, with hummus, or peanut butter for a healthy snack.
- Lean Turkey and Fish: The high protein content of these foods speeds up your metabolism by your body working harder to digest them.
Try some of these options, along with other healthy foods and enjoy a quick boost in metabolism!