Today the USS Harry S Truman returned 6,000 service men and women to Norfolk Naval Station after 7 long months of supporting combat operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. One hundred and nineteen babies had been born over the duration of the Truman’s deployment and were finally united today, for the first time. Many family members were waiting anxiously out in the cold to hold and kiss their loved ones again.
In the spirit of the return of the Truman, I thought it was the perfect time to reflect on our military men and women serving in our armed forces, and discuss ways to remember and honor them during this season of celebration.
Below are a few ways that we can show support for our troops during the holiday season:
1. Sign up to be a pen pal to a military
2. Send a care pack filled with lots of treats and goodies to remind them of home.
3. Make a donation to the USO- a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping our troops.
4. Send a free printed postcard to our troops through Let’s Say Thanks, or send an electronic personalized message to our troops through the USO.
5. Become a supporter of the Adopt a Platoon group.
This holiday season, we have so much to be thankful for, so why not celebrate the men and women who protect our rights, such as the ability to celebrate the holiday season the way we please?