It’s time to get out those bunny costumes and start filling up some Easter baskets! Whether you are making one for your roommate, friend, family member, or your kids; it’s always a great idea to stock your basket with fun and healthy alternatives to chocolate and candy. Let’s face it, everyone loves sweets, and they look forward to holidays such as Easter to get a taste of their favorites. There is no need to completely eliminate traditional Easter candy, but adding a few alternatives can go a long way.
Follow these steps to create a basket so great that the sweets won’t even be missed!
Step #1- Substitute for healthy snacks like yogurt-covered raisins, dried fruit, pretzels, popcorn, and homemade versions of the popular treats found in stores for those sugar filled snacks we usually put in baskets.
Step #2- Try adding the persons favorite book in the mix. Books tend to be fairly inexpensive and can be put in place of the giant chocolate bunny we usually add. Magazines are also a great option for the older crowd!
Step #3- For kids, fill the basket with different fun toys that will keep them active! A few ideas might be bubbles, sidewalk chalk, jump ropes, and various other outdoor activities you can find in stores. For adults, try adding items like headphones and other electronic accessories, gardening tools, and maybe items used in their favorite sport!
Step #4- Adding items that encourage creativity are also great fillers for your baskets. Things like coloring books, crayons, and paintbrushes are great for the little ones. Also, try adding things like cookbooks and other fun “how-to” activity kits to get the adults creative juices flowing!
Step #5- Make your own trail mix! Add a nutritious mix of low-sugar cereal, nuts, pretzels, bagel chips and a few jelly beans and put them into plastic Easter eggs or small Easter baggies. If you’re feeling adventurous, turn this recipe into a fun activity you can do with your kids. I’m sure they would love to help make this delicious and healthy snack!
Did you give up chocolate for Lent? Then this may be the perfect snack for you! These cute snacks look just like little birds nests and the bonus is that they are good for you! Fill them with your favorite egg shaped candy and you’re all set to serve the perfect Easter treat!
Crispy Easter Nest Treats
1/2 cup nut butter
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup Nutella
5 cups crispy brown rice cereal
1. Combine peanut butter, honey and Nutella in a medium size bowl, mix and microwave for 30 seconds at 50% power. If the nut butter is not melted, repeat for another 20 seconds. Mix well.
2. Add brown rice cereal to the nut butter-honey mixture, 1 to 2 cups at a time and stir to combine until mixture is sticky.
3. Spray a muffin pan with non-stick spray and place some mixture into each well. Shape each into a nest shape. If you are finding the mixture to sticky, dip your fingers into some water, shake it off and get back to shaping.
4. Place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 – 40 minutes (I covered with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight). Remove the nests carefully from the muffin tin and set on a plate.
5. Fill with your favorite nibbles.(I like peanut M&M’s but to avoid chocolate try egg shaped fruit snacks)